Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Day 17 (March 23): The Freedom to be Generous


It’s amazing how much you can learn about someone from their post. Keep up the conversation and our online community will grow in strength and connectedness.

Would you consider yourself to be generous? For many, the answer would be: It depends on what you mean by generous. Let’s get on the same page then with a standard definition. Paul defines generous when he wrote: “Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver” (2 Cor. 9:6-7).

Generosity is seen here to have a threefold meaning. First, generous means “What do you want to receive as a reward of your investment?” If you sow generously, you’ll reap generously. What do you want to reap? That defines your interpretation of generosity.

Second, generous means “giving from the heart.” If you can give a gift without feeling obligated, reluctant, or any other weird sense of awkwardness then your gift is a generous one.

Third, the word generous means “to give in a way that pleases God”. Since God loves a cheerful giver, generous people tend to want to always please God by living out the character traits that God enjoys. Generosity is one of them.

Based on these definitions, who are some of the generous people in your life?

See you tonight @ 7:00 p.m. at Midweek at the East Campus! I’ll be teaching a leadership class while the financial empowerment class is going on.

4 comments:

  1. Some of the most generous people in my life have been my parents, whom have given more and more themselves. Now as a married man, I find that my wife is one of the most generous person in the world even when that is not her intentions.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes its easier to give money as an outward form of generosity. But generous giving can also be giving of ones time. One of the most generous people I've met in my life has been a true servant of the Lord. She was also my first mentor. Her name is Ann Brown...a member and deaconess at Christ Church since its small beginnings. She has tirelessly given her time and her heart to people. I know that if I have a true need, she will always take some of her time and give it to me. And for this, I am eternally grateful. She is one of the unsung heroes of the church.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron, I love your slant on generosity and even Yvonne's referencing of a precious lady in our congregation as an example of generous giving. I would have to agree that at times it's far easier to give money than our lives to God...and to people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The person that comes to mind, when thinking about generosity, is my great Aunt Reva who has gone on to be with the Lord (I was 10 at the time). She gave me so much of her time, love, she gave me faith and shared her love for Christ and His Word. I remember one of the first tangible gifts she gave me was a small 14kt gold cross to wear when we went to worship together and it was precious to me. I know it was a sacrifice because she was up in years and did not have a lot of money. My Aunt Reva shared what she had with anyone who had a need and she fed those who were hungry. If I had friends with me and she gave me something it was always shared with the others. She showed me how to have a generous spirit, character, integrity and what it means to be a true disciple of Christ. Knowing her and having her as a part of my life was life changing.

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.DavidIreland.org
and update your bookmarks.