Thursday, April 21, 2011

Day 4 (April 21): Obedience!


Last night’s service at the East Campus was quite powerful! As we heard the seven last statements of Jesus and contemplated the great mysteries of our faith around the Table of the Lord, it was clear: Obedience to God is a must.

Are you living in obedience to God? Don’t side step this question. It is foundational to discipleship. All Christ followers must strive to live in obedience to the will of God…all the will of God. This was the crux of Jesus’ prayer in the garden of Gethsemane (Mark 14:32-42) days before the cross.

His emotionally distraught heart was asking the question: Should I go to the cross or not? Then He prayed to God, “Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.” His resolve anchored in prayer, was one of obedience.

Right now you are facing the big decision to either obey or disobey God’s will for your life. It may be concerning something large or even a tiny matter. Obedience is obedience! Conversely, disobedience in small matters is still disobedience. What are you going to do?

Over the years I have discovered four simply questions that help me walk in obedience to the revealed will of God. Maybe they can help you.

► Is it worth it to disobey the Lord?
► What future blessings will I forfeit if I disobey God today?
► How many people will my disobedience impact?
► Can I live without God’s anointing or intimacy with the Holy Spirit?

Which one of these questions is most helpful to you? Why? What have you learned about obedience?

1 comment:

  1. How many people will my disobedience impact?
    Our decisions, and by extension our actions are never just about us. Each choice we make has far reaching impact and can affect generations for good or negatively.
    Abraham decided to go down to Egypt to avoid the famine, and that decision resulted in his acquisition of Hagar. Hagar would later conceive with Abraham the father of the Arab nations. Those nations have been in conflict with the children of Israel for thousands of years.
    I try to keep in mind that my decisions are not personal or private; they will always have an effect on those around me.

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.DavidIreland.org
and update your bookmarks.