Monday, October 5, 2009

Day 15: Handling Conflict in the Ministry


Congratulations! You’ve made it into the third week of our six-week or 40-day journey. How do you feel? Are you more fired up for the Lord? Well, if you don’t sense a deeper walk with the Lord, hang in there, your change is coming.

The 15th chapter of Acts ends on a sad note: Two apostolic giants—Paul and Barnabas—part company over a lazy co-worker, John Mark. It’s an interesting study to learn about John Mark’s background and character (Acts 12:12-17). Paul refused to take John Mark along because he had previously deserted them while they labored in Pamphylia but Barnabas believed it to be a good idea to give him another chance.

What do you think was the right solution to the disagreement given the limited information the Bible gives us? If you were called to referee this heated debate, who would you say should honor the other’s opinion? Or, would you be too shocked to even know what to do seeing two spiritual giants disagreeing in such a heated manner? Well, it happens.

Let’s get back to the questions, however. How would you have handled the argument? Should the deserter be allowed to re-join the ministry? Should Paul be obligated to take along a guy that walks away from the team when the workload gets tough? Or, should grace be extended, as Barnabas wanted AND did, to John Mark? And, would it really be grace or can it be more accurately described as a guy trying to take advantage of your kindness? If you don't like my choices, you still cannot avoid the role of a referee. What would you do had you been present?

Remember, how you answer these questions sets your philosophy of ministry in motion. You cannot create a dysfunctional, non-committal type of ministry team, or if you go to the other extreme, you should not create a harsh legalistic model either. Albeit, both are wrong; but, what’s the right model?

Take a peek in the future by reading how Paul re-built a relationship with John Mark (2 Tim. 4:9-11). Incidentally, John Mark is the one who authored the gospel of Mark; who according to many scholars used Peter as his source for the information about the ministry of Jesus. Go figure!

3 comments:

  1. Hello Everyone,

    We’re half way thru Yay!! - I’m going to be up front and honest and share a little secret, shuuuuuu -- (I don’t like Apostle Paul) – There you have it. I agree with Barnabas’ choice not because of his decision to go against Paul’s judgment but for the fact that sometimes, as individuals we become impatient with people that are novice. In my humble opinion, :-) I think that John Mark was just a beginner and Apostle Paul was being impatient. There are those who have achieved a certain level of maturity and don’t want to invest in others, giving the impression that the other person should be at their level. I read the reference provided in both Acts and 2 Tim.; and from what is seen John Mark was familiar with the environment of prayer at the same time, as Pastor Anthony so eloquently mentioned yesterday in the service, being at church doesn’t mean that we have a relationship with Jesus and unless transformation has taken place or some sort of personal conviction is recognized I don’t believe John Mark would have understood what was required of him. I’m impatient at times but when I see potential in people, I work in bringing them to the level they need to be and if after continuous effort I don’t see improvement, I try some more unless they give me reason to believe that there’s no interest in the effort. It’s good that Barnabas didn’t give up on John Mark because we don’t know what would have happened if he had listened to Paul’s critics and not taken the time to give John Mark an idea of what the ministry entails, example: from Apostle Paul’s mouth eh! “Get Mark and bring him with you, because he is helpful to me in my ministry.”

    As far as claiming what is stolen, I regained strength. Although I am consistent on the journey, during the 2nd week, I felt tired and I was becoming a bit weary, out of nowhere I started sensing hardness in my heart. This past Saturday, I felt as is red lights were blanking inside of me warning me to be careful of where my heart was heading, I immediately asked God to forgive me ask that we reconnect again. It’s good to be friend with God.

    Everyone have a great week, be blessed.

    wh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pastor David, such thought provoking questions about an important incident. I honestly wrestled all day with this, reading and re-reading the passages of scripture. There is clearly no easy answer to the questions. So I've come to this, that it is so easy to peg Paul as impatient, but I find his response consistent with his passion and zeal for the Gospel message. I imagine Paul found their mission too important and urgent to be left to someone who had shown himself irresponsible. Likewise, I find Barnabas' response consistent with the message of grace that they were spreading. Perhaps he felt it most appropriate to witness by example, so he extended such grace to John Mark. I guess these are both important elements to a healthy and effective ministry: a clear passion and sense of urgency for God's work that will hold leaders directly accountable for their behavior, and likewise appropriate measures of grace that will accept people's limitations and give them opportunities to grow. Although conflict isn't ideal, it does happen but it doesn't have to destroy ministry or hinder God's work. In the end, Paul and John Mark were reconciled unto each other; it seemed that John Mark and Barnabas worked together well; and Paul went on to mentor and show compassion to another young man, Timothy. And the work of the Lord was advanced to His glory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I read and pondered this scripture, I kept asking "what might have been the root of this conflict?" I stuggled with labeling John Mark "lazy". Why did John Mark desert them? I researched and found out most inhabitants of Pamphylia were considered "backwards and illiterate". History also recorded that the temple of Diana was in the vicinity of Perga and Christianity never flourished there as in other parts of Asia Minor. So perhaps this conflict was based on a difference of opinion regarding the effectiveness of their ministry. Perhaps Paul was more emphathic to the plight of the people due to his own radical transformation. Perhaps John Mark took a more rationale approach, recognizing how difficult the task was becoming and he left.

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.DavidIreland.org
and update your bookmarks.